Monday, August 15, 2016

I am very blessed to know that I am Blessed.

I am  very blessed to know that I am Blessed.

People like my friend Neusa and her family and my friends Dembore and Tais, and Isabela, make me believe in "Black lives matter."

From a professional point of view there is the need to get footage for my documentary "Why Brazil" but personally there is the need to unwind.

I am almost there...at a place where I can listen to the God inside me and follow his direction.  On my third day in Rio, I went to Vidigal beach, and I no one tried to sell me anything, instead there was the sound of the water, the laughter of people, and some very nice Brazilian music.  I myself, went in search of a Brazilian friend, Wilson who sells "cangas".  We spent most of the conversation with him giving me free Portuguese lessons.

I have seen small things that pertain to the political side of my story; I have seen people wearing the T-shirt "Stop Coup", and I took this to mean the impeachment of Dilma.  Also there are more religious groups advertising in public places this trip, than I remember seeing in public places in the past.  I believe that the government is allowing this because of the sentiment by many people that church is the opiate of the masses.  I could be wrong.

When all of the strangers have left the Brazilian people will be left with some very important improvements in transportation but those improvements are not present in schools and hospitals.

As a stranger myself, even though I am sometimes mistaken for Carioca, I am also unconsciously pacified into thinking the police presence is beneficial, but I know the increase in police comes at a price.  The police that I saw in every tourist area during the World Cup, that were walking around, and chatting with each other, have now been replaces by police in new cars wearing new uniforms.  Maybe some of the money for new police cars and new uniforms could have been used to improve the schools, and the hospitals.

However, it is sad to say from my own personal experience that the individual policemen are not making such great salaries.  Last night, at my first Olympic match, Beach Volleyball (Brazil vs Russia, and U.S.A. vs Australia), I found out that I didn't read the Olympic website thoroughly, I was stopped at security because I had brought my iPad.  I was told the website held instructions not to be iPads to the stadium.  Faced with this dilemma I tried not to panic, and eventually a solution was presented to me.  "In front of Copacabana Palace, there is a bathroom with lockers, you could leave it there."  I listened but formulated my own plan.  I went to the security/information desk at Copacabana Palace and with broken Spanish and Portuguese, explained my situation and asked if they could keep my iPad until after the game.  They said no, but one nice person that spoke English walked over to the police man standing in a booth, and asked if he would be on duty.  Another nice person from Copacabana Palace then walked over with me and acted as the interpreter, to make the request for me.  As it turns out the policeman, also spoke some english, agreed to take my iPad, and gave me his number to call him after the game, when I was on my way back to retrieve my iPad.  I called twice, and I was told his phone did not have credit.  I got back to find him gone from the booth, and not in the police car that he had showed me was his car.  At first I stressed about it, but I decided to wait because the light was on in the booth, I could see the bag he'd place my iPad in on the desk, and the police car lights were blinking.  Eventually he came back to the booth, and said "why didn't you call me?"  It was only when I showed him my call log/record that he understood.  But I thank God, he was a simple, nice, and honest man who returned my iPad.  I believe he is like all of the Brazilians that I know waiting for his fair share of the Brazilian wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment